Tagline

"I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore"

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Teenagers refusing to 'grow up'

This actually annoyed me yesterday, but didn't feel like writing, and now I am in quite a good mood so this may be less extreme than other posts.

I have had an ongoing argument on Facebook (I have a lot, I think it is becoming a problem) about jobs vs living life to do what you love, my side was that at some point, a teenager has to accept that they are not always going to be able to do what they love and get paid for it, and that sometimes they need to relinquish their aims of being a famous musician or an artist and just take a boring desk job, or something along those lines. Whereas the person I was arguing with seemed to think that "money is insignificant" (actual quote) and that they can worry about that when they are old, but for now they are going to live it up and do what they love. Now I have nothing against that viewpoint, when you are in your early teenage years, once you start hitting your 18's-20's I believe that it is time to start growing up and accepting that you are an adult.

Sure, I am not saying that you can't go out drinking, have a road trip, play music, or do any other fun things that people in their late teens and 20's do, but you can't go through that period of your life thinking that money isn't important, while it would be ideal if it wasn't, the fact remains that it is imensely important. If you want to play/produce/write music, that is fine, but do it in your spare time.. if you want to get a career doing something you love, that is fine, but until you manage to get into that career you are still going to need some sort of income, and sorry, bud, but mooching off your parents or being on the benefit (without trying to find a job) just doesn't cut it with me.

And as for saying that money is insignificant.. are you mental? What world do you live in? How do you think you get those instruments/art supplies? People, particularly youth, have to accept at some point in their lives, that money actually makes the world go round, once they realise that they can get on with their adulthood. And with the realisation that money is incredibly important, hopefully, comes the realisation that while getting a job in a field that you love would be awesome and is everyone's dream, it is very likely that you aren't going to get one. Sounds pessimistic, i know, but that is because I am pessimistic. Young adults aren't going to advance in life until they realise that a job is a job, money is money, and that you always have your spare time to try reach your dreams.

I accept that in todays world it isn't easy to get a job if you haven't gone to uni, I was incredibly lucky to get mine, but at least look for one, and don't try look down on people who have managed to get a job, albeit a desk/office job, just because you are 'living life and loving every day".. you are actually just a bum.

No comments:

Post a Comment