Tagline

"I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore"

Monday, September 6, 2010

People who are extremely anti-religion

Good weekend? Yeah, same. Big topic today.

Now, the title of this piece may lead you to believe that I am part of some sort of religion, don't think that, I'm not. I don't believe in God, Allah, or any sort of higher spiritual power. But in saying that, I am not against the idea of them or people who do believe them. You could be forgiven for thinking that I am/I do, especially if you know me, but I have had a change of heart this year. I used to be a massive 'anti-christian/religion' sort of guy, but I had the change of heart when a friend told me that he no longer believed in God and sort of credited me with the development, which, truth be told, made me feel awful. I have sort of grown to the point where I despise science and scientists more than religious people. Hence the topic of todays rant.

It was a weird feeling when I decided to be more open-minded to the idea of religion and started noticing just how ignorant and close-minded all these supposed 'open-minded' atheists actually are. They go on and on about how stupid religion is, and how only weak people are religious (which I hope isn't true, because, despite what they say, one hell of a large chunk of the worlds population follow some sort of religion) and how religious people are just sheep, taking the word of the bible and their preachers/priests/reverends/etc as truth without asking any questions. But for the most part, all these atheists do the exact same thing with science/scientists. They will believe, without a doubt, that we evolved from apes and that the universe was formed by the big bang, simply because scientists say that it is likely that we did/it was.

They claim that logic is the difference between science and religion, that evolution is likely and that God is unlikely. But, as I asked of someone yesterday, when you really think about it, putting all bias aside, what makes anyone think that we, as tiny, insignificant humans, would have any idea, or any kind of miniscule grasp, about what is likely or logical? It doesn't make sense to me, scientists talk about how old and infinitely massive the universe is, and yet they think that despite that, anything they say is relevent. That doesn't seem like logic to me, it just seems like pure desire/need/want to convince themselves that there is some sort of meaning to life, which really, is all religion and religious people are trying to do as well. The only difference is that religious people have actually found a meaning to their life and are happy with it.

Anyway, I am not trying to discredit science here, I am not saying that anyone who doesn't follow a religion annoys me. It is the people who go around telling Christians that their beliefs are retarded and screaming about how science has proved religion wrong etc. As someone who doesn't believe in a higher power but likes to think that they are (now) tolerant of other peoples' religious beliefs, these other types of atheists genuinely offend me. Why, you ask? Because they are going around giving me a bad name, making religious people think that anyone who doesn't believe in God is going to jam their non-spiritual views down their throats. They also create the illusion that all atheists masturbate over the idea of evolution, but to me (and I'm sure, many others) evolution is just as illogical as creationism, I prefer to go on the idea that, for all I know, the universe always has, and always will exist and that Humans exist, end of story, and that is all I need to know, I don't care how or why we are here, we just are.

2 comments:

  1. I was born in a christian family but bacame atheist. After many discussions with religious people, I could see how unusefull is talking about religion. The important isnt the religion itself (its an individual choice) but how it can rule the society. Nobody is able to explain the origin or purpose of life, that's why I startet to call myself "agnostic".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that no one can explain the origin or purpose of life, which is why I don't think we should be trying. My view on Christianity and religion in general is that is should be used to promote a happy and loved filled life without the threat of hell constantly looming if you don't do what they say. You should live by their beliefs because you want the happiness they may be able to provide.

    ReplyDelete